Error: [DBNETLIB] SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Error: [DBNETLIB] [ConnectionOpen (Connect().]SQL Server does not exist or access denied
If it is the first time running HRPro Desktop Client on that workstation.
1. Make sure the SQL Server Name, System Database, SQL User ID and SQL User Password is correct.
2. Allow Remote Connection if the SQL Server installed is Express Edition and add firewall exception
- How to install Microsoft SQL Server 2017 Express Edition for HRPro
- How to configure SQL Server 2017 Express to allow remote connections?
4. Make sure the SQL Server Browser Service is running
If this is not the first time running HRPro Desktop Client on a workstation.
- Make sure the SQL Server is not down
- The SQL Server Name, System Database, SQL User ID and SQL User Password is correct
- The SQL connection is not blocked by the workstation firewall or SQL server firewall
- Make sure the SQL Server Browser Service is running
- The system database and application database is accessible.
P.S. If the HRPro desktop client is installed on a Windows 10 desktop, and the error occurred just after the Windows 10 is upgraded to Windows 10 build 1803 (run winver from search box to determine the Windows build version) by Windows Update, then it is because the security control of Windows 10 build 1803 blocked the network connection of the HRPRO.EXE that started from an untrusted location (i.e. the network shared folder using SMB1.5 or below). Copy the HRPro shared folder to local hard disk and start HRPro from the local hard disk is a workaround.
Otherwise consider the followings
- If the File Server is Windows Server 2003, upgrade the Server to Windows 2008 R2 or above and activate SMB2 (or above) on that server. Microsoft is ended the support for Windows Server 2003 on July 14, 2015
- Move the HRPro shared folder to a File Server or NAS that supported SMB2
- Use Named Pipes to connect to the SQL Server other than TCP/IP
- Install other Anti-virus program to replace Microsoft Windows Defender
- Apply Emergency Hot Fix for Windows 10 1803 KB4284848 (2018/06/26)